Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Devil Takes his Drag...

Stripped down by the morning sun.
Another day has just begun,
but I catch it from the nights turn.

I see my love on a jilted hill
He sits and drinks and sings his fill
To the emptied masses.

I saw you in the underworld,
You were wearing a string of pearls, and diamonds in your hair
But alas, the world had stripped me bare
And I had only sand and broken fingers, standing there
And tangles in my hair.
Do you remember that? Do you?
I saw you there.

An angel at the wishing well
You held a bell that sounded hell
And a cigarette from heaven.
You told me it was rock and roll
That all good things rang their toll
And I should just start living.

I felt a heartbeat in my chest,
This subtle yearning in my breast
to rise and swell, ride and crest
And the waves came crashing down.

Who was I to take the devils call?
I thought I was the bride to hell.
I wished it in the wishing well
But you rang your bell….
And the devil took his drag.

And now again I'm washed ashore
With wrinkled hands and clothes all torn
My hair is dirty and my body sags
I only want to escape this sack
The devil took his drag.

A washed up hag.

I saw you at the wishing well
You held a bell that sounded hell
And a cigarette from heaven.
You told me it was rock and roll
Every single kiss you stole
Every scream, every giggle, every innocent wiggle
oh how our life tickled...

But all good things ring their toll,
As all things holy surely know,
a cigarette from heaven.
The devil takes his drag.

No comments: